Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Response to "What is a Blog?"

1. The main thing that struck me about this article was that it was really technical and really boring, with lots of language I didn't understand. It struck me because the Internet is something I've always seen as being very user friendly, so before I started to read the article, I expected to completely understand it, but as I read it I realized I only understood very little of the article. I thought that something that would explain what blogs are would be interesting, but I lost interest very early on in the article.

2. According to Jarrett, a blog is a "personally published document on the wed, with attribution and date, collected in a single place, generally published with a static structure to facilitate incoming links from other sourced, and updated with some regularity and frequency from every few days to several times daily."

3. Blogs are different from a website in that they are subjective and let the readers make up their own minds.

4. Blogging gives empowerment to people by letting them say whatever they want, and saying it in a public place, rather than in a private place, and therefore making sure other people can see and read it.

5. It is significant that your work is collected over time in a blog, so that readers can see how your opinion changes or stays the same over time. It also gives latecomers to the blog a chance to try to catch up, and it also gives your blog a voice.

6. Blogging can connect people that have similar interests, and help them to form friendships with each other.

No comments: