Monday, September 29, 2008

My 3 Campaign Ads, Plus an artist statement.




1. The one style element I took from the sample campaign ads and the one thing that really unifies my ads, besides them all being about band members, is the American flag in the background. My ads are different than the other campaign ads in the way that they have very little words, and also that most campaign ads have a symbol that is associated with the candidate, and mine all just have the person's name and that's it. It might be less effective, but since the people in my ads are very well-known, I didn't think it would hurt me much.

2. In the first and second ads, all I did was layer different layers over each other, and used layer masks to block out the parts of the images that I didn’t want the audience to see, and also to make things a little see-through. The third one is the one I’m most proud of, because instead of choosing an image for my background, I made it myself by getting the picture of Weezer’s Blue Album, and using the Alpha tool to get rid of all the blue. I was left with a white space, which I filled in with rectangles, then I made them white or red with the Inspector. Then I made a blue square and put it in the upper right corner, then I selected the star shape and put them in place on the flag I just made. Finally, I used the same font that Weezer used, and underneath the name, I wrote, “for president(s)”. This is my favorite ad.

3. I like that my first ad is very simple. It is obvious that I was just getting used to using the layer masks, and I experimented very little with it. My second ad is kind of the same as the first, although I used two images instead of one, and I also used a new font I downloaded, which I thought was more effective for my ad than a standard font. What I like about my third ad is that it looks as if I’ve moved on from just trying things out and I used a lot of different tools to get my look. I created my background all by myself and even though I used a standard font, it works because it’s the same as Weezer’s font, and therefore it is more effective.

No comments: